oss4lib About - Contact    History
Listserv         Projects
Readings         Submit

[oss4lib] update...

Hi all.  Here's what's been going on the past week:

1) some tweaking of the site, with some major new functionality in the
   works.  Up now are listserv archives, a credits page (you all should
   know the name of Gillian, the bringer of pinstripes), headlines from
   freshmeat and /., and some funky logos thanks to cooltext.com.  The
   mySql backend is coming up (php is infectious, I tell ya), and very
   soon I'll post links to the get-an-account, post-some-news, and
   post-some-comments test pages.

2) complete migration of DubMed off an NT machine onto our apache server.
   Along with this has come removal of several MS products and a
   proprietary ORB from the DubMed codebase (and vast simplification of
   the relevant code).  The metadata tablespace DubMed uses
   needs some work before we can announce it as an oss4lib project, but at
   least it's all functional again.  Give it a whirl if you haven't
   already...

3) Eric Raymond came to visit here.  He spoke for about two hours on
   2/25, giving a significant chunk of that time to reviewing The
   Cathedral...  if you are familiar with his written or coded works,
   his talk would have been a fun and mildly informative review; if you
   weren't believing in oss/free code before hearing him, he gave a good
   sales pitch.  Thoughts that stood out:

   o some expansion on oss as a process that justifies itself because
     of the cost-pooling and risk-sharing involved
   o description of the spectrum between valuing the "secret bits" of
     code and the value of peer review
   o esr's reason for being an immediate linux believer when he finally
     tried it out?  No disk recovery tools (or similar emerg utils) came
     with the distribution.  Quite insightful...
   o Librarians unite!  One of us Yale types (maybe me) had posted the
     announcement to our general list here, and I'm proud to say that
     there was a quite good showing of librarians amongst the big-name
     Yale IT and CS dept. folks.

4) Just signed up to lil (linux in libraries) and the osdls lists.  Caught
   the tail of some interesting threads about where to start building
   an oss OPAC/LMS or the like, so hopefully some code will pop up soon
   that we can point you to...

Another thing I'm toying with is putting up a web frontend to cvs on my
DubMed devel machine...  anyone out there running cvsweb?

Upcoming in the next week:  Thursday is the talk here at Yale... hope some
of you nearby can come join us (be sure to introduce yourselves before,
during, or after).  Now if I can just avoid powerpoint all will be ok.

  -Dan

SourceForge Logo © Copyright 1999-2005, The oss4lib Community, except for readings and comments, which are owned by their posters.
oss4lib is graciously hosted by the good folks at sourceforge.net.
Site URL: http://oss4lib.org/ Questions or comments to maintainers.

library