oss4lib About - Contact    History
Listserv         Projects
Readings         Submit

Re: open source and librarianship

Question from a innocent:

In reading Karl Fogel's and Eric Morgan's discussion, I began to wonder...

I'm curious if there is a protocol in the online catalog "industry" that
describes, and defines the layers and interfaces between those layers, much
as TCP/IP or the other ...7-layer network protocol (I forget the name) for
networking.

I remember a presentation by NOTIS folks to us a little more than a year
ago in which they described that they were using a model that had at least
3 layers.  Yet also, they noted, that the technology that accounted for the
speed of response to a search query was all tied up in the (secret!
proprietary) technology down on the bottom layer.  Thus --at least it
sounded like-- the search/report technology is all tied up with the core
data tables (???)

So.... is there an (international or industry) standard, or does the
industry have the search and report technology all bundled up with the core
data programming?

(Forgive my asking; now that I read this it sounds like a stupid dumb
question,... but I'm still curious.)

gs

At 03:15 PM 2/1/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Eric Lease Morgan <eric_morgan@ncsu.edu> writes:
>> Thank you for asking. In a sentence, MyLibrary, specifically,
<snipped>....
George Swan
Collection Development Support Unit	VOICE:	(612) 624-5860
Room 170B, Wilson Library			FAX:	(612) 626-9353
University of Minnesota Libraries		g-swan@tc.umn.edu
309 19th Avenue South			cdm-web@tc.umn.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55455			colldev@tc.umn.edu
USA						http://www.lib.umn.edu/cdm/

SourceForge Logo © Copyright 1999-2005, The oss4lib Community, except for readings and comments, which are owned by their posters.
oss4lib is graciously hosted by the good folks at sourceforge.net.
Site URL: http://oss4lib.org/ Questions or comments to maintainers.

library