oss4lib About - Contact    History
Listserv         Projects
Readings         Submit

RE: hopin' for zope zen

I've begun using Zope for a few small projects and I've gotten a colleague
to start using it for several projects.  The two of us just gave a brief
glimpse of it to our Systems department, which awakened a great deal of
interest.

I use it mainly for providing a web interface to various databases.  I've
run it in Windows using an Access database and I've run it in Linux using
both MySQL and PostgreSQL databases.  (It is currently included in the
Debian GNU/Linux potato distribution that is currently frozen in preparation
for its official release as Debian GNU/Linux 2.2.)

It takes a while to fully grasp all that Zope can do and this combined with
the currently somewhat patchy nature of Zope documentation can make learning
Zope something of a chore, but as Nikolai Vladychevski said on the Zope
mailing list "People who are learning Zope tend to periodically burst out of
their office with a desperate need to tell someone about the latest core
principle of Zope which they finally came to understand.  The more you have
these "light bulb" experiences, the cooler Zope is."  Zope is written in
Python and knowledge of Python, while not strictly necessary, does help.

Zope is also object-oriented, so it helps to have some grasp of OO.  Here an
important document to read is the Zope How-To "Gain Zope Enlightenment By
Grokking Object Orientation"
(http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/gainenlightenment).

Chris Gray
University of Waterloo