oss4lib About - Contact    History
Listserv         Projects
Readings         Submit

[jake-list] Re: ANNOUNCE: jake2marc 0.3.6 released

Hi,

I love this jake2marc thing. I have a few vague ideas on how it might be
useful.

Maybe jake2marc can be used to distribute MARC records for e-journal
aggregations to libraries that want to have records in their online catalogs.
There is a Program for Cooperative Cataloging task group working on this. Their
Web page is at http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/automation.html look for
links to
the task group on e-journals in aggregations. Or just go right to them.  Final
report of the First Task Group on Journals in Aggregator Databases at
http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/aggfinal.html and the 2nd task group's charge,
membership, etc. at http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/aggregatortg.html

To make the jake2marc tool more useful it would be good to have the sub fields
delimited  per MARC practices.

650:#0: |a Lung -- cytology

should be 650: 0: |a Lung |x Cytology. if it is an LC subject heading.
or 650: 2: |a Lung |x Cytology. If it is a Medical subject heading.

050:00: |a QP121.A1A48

should be
 050/1:00: |a QP121.A1 |b A48

Also the # should be a blank.

If jake has coverage information on the e-journal that would be great to add to
the MARC output. That would probably go into a 362 field. If the e-journal is
restricted to those who have a subjscription, etc. A note in a 506 MARC tag
field that says something like Access restricted by licensing aggreement. would
be useful.

One last thing. The MARC records were in computer file format. As e-journals,
they should be in the serial format and have additional fixed fields for the
computer file and the remote access aspects.

These changes would make the MARC record from jake more immediately usable in
library catalogs.

At 11:08 AM 6/5/00 -0700, Mark Jordan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Please excuse any cross-posting.
>
>jake2marc is a utility that can create simple USMARC records for the
>full-text journals in databases listed in the jake project
>(http://jake.med.yale.edu/). The jake database list is available at
>http://jake.med.yale.edu/docs/dblist.php3 .
>
>jake2marc is incorporated into and distributed with the standard jake
>application, and currently appears as a "Download as MARC" option in the
>database list and in the record for each database. jake2marc can also be
>installed and used separately from the main jake application because it
>queries jake for data over the net. The Perl source code is available for
>people interested in installing jake2marc on their own web server and
>modifying it to suit their own library's needs. jake2marc is currently
>under development and is available under the terms of the GNU General
>Public License (GPL).
>
>More information about jake2marc, including a detailed description of the
>records it creates, is available at
>http://www.lib.sfu.ca/kiosk/mjordan/jake/ .
>
>Mark
>

>Mark Jordan
>Librarian / Analyst, Systems Division
>W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
>Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
>Email mjordan@sfu.ca / Phone (604) 291 5753 / Fax (604) 291 3023

Matthew Beacom
Catalog Librarian for Networked Information Resources
Yale University Library
(203) 432-4947
matthew.beacom@yale.edu
http://www.library.yale.edu/~mbeacom