Subject: Re: DC and MARC
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:39:19 +0200
From: "B. Eversberg" <EV@buch.biblio.etc.tu-bs.de>
To: dc-general@mailbase.ac.uk

Karim Boughida wrote, about ILSs with open MARC interfaces and such,

> Yes we did ... I am in charge of ENCompass the new digital library product
> at Endeavor information systems (a major player in the ILS arena) and we
> support non-MARC data. We did already many crosswalk to several metadata
> models (DC, EAD, TEI, in-house mappings, etc.

There will be more than one vendor supporting various crosswalks.
The point in question was, is there any generally available,
preferably open-source software for local management of metadata
including support of MARC structures and conversion thereof.

There is a new version of the Marcmakr/Marcbrkr conversion and
editing tool available for downloading at
    http://ucs.orst.edu/~reeset/marcedit/index.html

We also do have this kind of stuff, complete with database management,
written in C++. The only snag being that it is in German. The user
interface files are available in English but not the documentation.
You may check out

   http://www.allegro-c.de/allegro

Someone at ease with German would have to invest a good amount of time
to set it up for general metadata management in English. We don't
have that much time ourselves at present.

B.E.

Bernhard Eversberg
Universitaetsbibliothek, Postf. 3329,
D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel.  +49 531 391-5026 , -5011 , FAX  -5836
e-mail  B.Eversberg@tu-bs.de

SourceForge Logo © Copyright 1999-2005, The oss4lib Community, except for readings and comments, which are owned by their posters.
oss4lib is graciously hosted by the good folks at sourceforge.net.
Site URL: http://oss4lib.org/ Questions or comments to maintainers.

library